Oh sweet cherries, how I love to eat thee!
Cherries rock, and they are healthy too. It’s one of those awesome foods that are sweet and good for you at the same time. Those kinda foods are my all time fav!
Sweet cherries are an excellent source of potassium, iron, zinc, copper, and manganese. But also, there are two pretty interesting facts about sweet cherries that I learned while researching them:
1) Sweet cherries have shown to help decrease inflammation, making them an excellent food to add to the daily diet of those suffering with arthritis, fibromyalgia, and other inflammatory illnesses. Because of their anti-inflammatory properties, they can also help the body heal after a good hard workout. For more information on the health and healing benefits of sweet cherries, click here.
2) Sweet cherries contain a unique set of antioxidants, one of them being melatonin. Eating sweet cherries “can have a calming effect on brain neurons and the nervous system, soothing irritability, insomnia, headaches, and even helping to establish regular sleep patterns.” Read more by clicking here.
Okay, now that we learned some pretty cool stuff about eating this yummy delightful fruit, how about we get on with making an easy meal with them. Here is my recipe for a Sweet Cherry Vanilla Breakfast Smoothie. When available, I use local and/or organic ingredients.
Sweet Cherry Vanilla Breakfast Smoothie
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 1/4 cup plain kefir
- 1 cup of sweet cherries
- 1 raw egg
- 1 little squeeze of fresh lemon
- 1 drop of vanilla extract
- Top off with milk (or almond milk, coconut milk, hemp milk, etc).
Blend until smooth. Enjoy!
Let me know how you like the recipe. I’m always creating in the kitchen. It’s so.much.fun!