Hey you! Thanks for stopping by to learn about me. Here's my story...
What started out as a journey to healing became a passion to share with others. Throughout my life I experienced many forms of abuses which caused me to have low self-esteem, lack confidence, and shy away from social activities, including sports. It took years of counseling and personal development to come out of my shell, build confidence, and feel good about myself. I had to make a decision - continue to be a victim or become a survivor.
Through this journey, and learning to love myself, I became seriously involved with learning how to take better care of my physical, mental, and spiritual health. I had to get in control instead of being out of control. It's was not easy, and still isn't. This journey I travel will be for the rest of my life. However, the more I learn about myself, and how to take care of me, the more I enjoy this journey. It's a really, really good thing.
It's kind of weird to say this but I'm glad for all my difficult experiences because I feel they have given me something unique - a special insight that I can use with others. I know from personal experience what it's like to deal with depression, mental pain, anger, anxiety, and struggle to get out of bed. It's tough. Really tough.
But I also know what it feels like to overcome these feelings, and yes, it can be done. We all hold the power to change our situations. Sometimes it's hard to see that but once you believe you possess the power, once you believe in yourself and that you can do anything, you will then begin to live your life the way you have always dreamed about.
Although my journey to being healthy and fit began way before I started working in the health and fitness industry, I took on this healthy career in 2000. It was a catalyst for furthering my skills, knowledge, and expertise. I first started working in the industry under the umbrella of several organizations (local fitness clubs, the YMCA, our local municipalities, etc.). In May 2012 I decided to venture out on my very own and start up a health and fitness business, and from there I GO!
I am passionate about what I do. It's in my heart and it's in my soul. I take pride in my work and provide top-notch health and fitness lifestyle coaching services.
My mission is to help people develop healthy habits that will last a lifetime. We each have our own dreams, interests, and goals. I support each one of my clients wholeheartedly and respect their individual differences.
When you work with me, we start a journey together. It starts with one step and we go at your pace. Sometimes you will get tired but I'm there to help push you forward.
If you truly want to change your life, you have to be on this journey forever. You travel with me as long as you want but the most important thing to remember is that being fit is not a destination, it's a lifestyle!
I hope to hear from you.
In fitness and health,
~ Love Coach Tammy, xo
I was born and raised in Lunenburg County, have always lived an active lifestyle. At age 19 I took an interest in weightlifting and motivated through my own training, began my journey to become a fitness professional to help others achieve their goals.
I have been working in the health and fitness industry since 2000. I am a Healthy Eating and Weight Loss Coach, Group Fitness Instructor, Personal Trainer Specialist, Adult Community Triathlon Coach, Children's Fitness Coach, Snowboard and Mountain Bike Instructor. I have a Bachelor of Arts and Education. I am naturally high energy and self-motivated!
Since 2006, I have been competing as an age-group athlete. I have competed in triathlons, duathlons, running, rowing, and a variety of cycling races.
In 2012 I competed in Nova Scotia’s very first long course triathlon event EPIC Dartmouth. I signed up for the iron-distance (3.8k swim + 180k bike + 42.2k run) to raise over $4600 for PRO Kids in Lunenburg County.
I competed in the event again in 2013 finishing in a time of 13:44 placing 1st in my age group and qualifying for a spot to represent Team Canada at the Long Course World Championships in Weihai, China. I raised an additional $2216 for PRO Kids during this event, bringing the grand total to $6904. I still continue to raise money for PRO Kids and currently have $7087 raised in total.
I received recognition from the Mayor of Bridgewater of my outstanding fundraising efforts that help the local charity PRO Kids.
I also received the Adrian Campbell Sportsmanship Award for 2012 from Triathlon Canada. I believes fitness should be challenging and fun but also sustainable, encouraging individuals to become the best that they can be in life, mentally and physically.
BUT, my biggest accomplishment of all was raising my son to be a very determined and successful man. Much of what I accomplished above was done as a single mom. My son was a source of great strength, and every day I am grateful for all the help I received from my parents. Without them, I wouldn't have been able to achieve so much.
“Tammy’s positive energy and enthusiasm is a tremendous motivator whether you’re a first timer or a vet!” – Tom Rogers, Wentzell Lake
Awards, Certificates, Degrees
- Children’s Fitness Coach, 2016
- PMBI Level 1 Mountain Bike Instructor, 2016
- CASI Level 1 Snowboard Instructor, 2016
- canfitpro Healthy Eating and Weight Loss Coach, 2014
- NCCP Adult Community Triathlon Coach, 2012
- canfitpro Personal Trainer Specialist, 2001
- canfitpro Fitness Instructor Specialist, 2000
- YMCA Individual Conditioning Certification, YMCA, 2000
- Adrian Campbell Sportsmanship Award, Triathlon NS, 2012
- Graduate of Acadia University, B.A. (2007) & B.Ed. (2010)
- Academic Scholar and Deans List
- TESOL Certification (teaching English as a second language), Acadia University, 2010
- University credits in Elementary Physical Education, Outdoor Leadership, Psychology, & Human Biology (2003-20010)
- St. John’s Standard First Aid & CPR (kept up-to-date annually)
- Holds diplomas in Entrepreneurship, Accounting, Small Business Income Tax & Computer Operations/Information Processing
Fitness Business Experience
- Owner & Operator of GO! Health & Fitness Lifestyle Coaching since May 2012
- Teaching fitness for non-profit and private organizations since 2000
- Four years as the My First Triathlon Coach for the Bridgewater Triathlon Club, Nova Scotia (2011-2014)
- Seven years substituting for Phys Ed. school teachers in the South Shore Regional School Board, Nova Scotia (2010-2016)
- 20+ years in business management, marketing, and entrepreneurship.
Personal Athletic Accomplishments
- 2013 1st Place (13hr:44min), Women’s Div 40-44, EPIC Iron (ironman-distance triathlon)
- 2014 ITU Long Distance Triathlon World Championship Qualifier
- 2015 2nd Place, Women’s Division, NSSP Cyclocross Race Series
- 2014 2nd Place, Women’s Division, NSSP Cyclocross Race Series
- 2014 2nd Place Women’s B-Cat Mountain Bike Provincial Championships, NS
Plus more! Racing competitively and consistently since 2006, I’ve lost track of some of my stats over the years, but I can tell you I’ve made it to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place on many occasions in running, cycling, triathlon, mountain biking, cyclocross, and even dory rowing. I like to play hard!
But it’s not about winning, it’s about being your best. There have been many times I have not done very well, and I’ve fallen back, and even been injured. It is my experience that although winning is fun and exciting, it’s when I fail that I learn the most about myself, how to become strong, and how to get better.
- Raised $7087 for PRO Kids (Positive Recreational Opportunities) in Lunenburg County
- Coach for the Bridgewater Triathlon Club’s ‘My First Triathlon’ program since 2011
- Fitness Leader for the Town of Lunenburg’s Biggest Loser, a 3 month-3 day per week program in 2009
- Member of the advisory committee for WHIRC (Women’s Health In Rural Communities, study currently completed)
- ‘Miga’ the mascot for the Olympic Torch Relay in Lunenburg, 2009
- Personal Trainer for YMCA Canada, Bridgewater, NS, 2000
- Ongoing participation in various local events to raise money for public health, health awareness, and health education
- Canadian Association of Fitness Professionals
- Canadian Association of Snowboard Instructors
- Professional Mountain Bike Instructors Association
- Bridgewater Triathlon Club
- Triathlon Nova Scotia
- Bicycle Nova Scotia
- Run Nova Scotia
Continuing Education Credits (CECs)
- Tosca Reno Eat Clean Foundations Certificate
- Osteoporosis Programs and Prevention
- Sports Nutrition and Performance
- Women’s Hormones and Training
- Chair Yoga
- The Effect of Strength Training on Weight Loss
- The Mystery of Behaviour Change
- Eat to Win!
- Exercise, Lifestyle, Nutrition and Anti-Aging
- Cholesterol, Saturated Fat, Salt, Gluten and More: Are They The Enemies We Make Them Out to Be?
- Practical Strategies for Those Who Suffer From Chronic Lower Back Pain
- Eating Well: Easy as 1-2-3!
- The China Study vs the Paleo Diet: Who is Right and What Can We Learn
- Fundamentals of Nutrition Certificate
- Multi-Sport Coaching course, NCCP, 2011
- Better Backs
- Swiss-Ball Yoga
- Twist Smart Muscle® Training System
- Body Training Explosion
- Outlast, Outspin, Outride
- Multi-sport Coaching